Thursday 15 March 2012

I have been working on the new novel this morning.  Thought you'd like to read a snippet of it.


Kevin
A new member of staff started this week.  Her name’s Gem - I remember her hanging around in the shop last week.  I thought she was interested in bric-a-brac at first, then when she dropped the china rabbit I realised she was just a time-waster - probably in the shop to get out of the rain.  I was quite surprised when she had the gall to ask Catherine for a job.  I’m not sure whether I’m going to get on with her - she looks a bit like a druggie - got that seediness about her.  Catherine doesn’t seem to see it though.
Gem was in here yesterday and she’s due back in this afternoon.  Catherine says I have to try and get on with her - help to show her the ropes.  I’m not sure about how this will effect our little team.  New people are always difficult aren’t they?  I think it’ll be alright if she stays in the back room sorting stock - but then again - can she be trusted not to take the best things and hide them in her bag?  I’ll have to keep a close eye on her, won’t I?

I've set this one in a charity shop - am still working on devising characters and exploring how they interact with each other.  Each chapter is from or about a different character's point of view.  I have a vague plot in my head but am allowing the characters to form the story so don't know for sure where it's going yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment