Thursday 23 October 2014

Portsmouth Fairy Tales for Grown-Ups

After months of hard work by Life is Amazing (the incredible Matt Wingett) and the awesome Tessa Ditner, we are pleased to announce the launch of Portsmouth Fairy Tales for Grown-Ups in paperback version.

About a year ago I received a tweet from a certain Tessa Ditner, a woman I had never heard of, asking me if I wanted to be involved in a writing project in Portsmouth.  I was instantly suspicious.  Why would anyone want me to be involved?  Who was this woman?  I knew a lot of the writers around Portsmouth and had never come across this one before?  I ignored the tweet.

Several tweets later, I replied, asking who else was involved and that's when I realised that she already had on board several very talented writers, people I'd worked with before and had the utmost respect for.  So I was in.

A year on, I can honestly say that this has been a great experience in many ways.  I have been given the much needed kick up the arse to get on and write again.  Three of my short stories are now published in the ebook version of Portsmouth Fairy Tales for Grown-Ups, I have been involved in The Portsmouth Festivities, presenting one of my stories to an enthusiastic audience.  I then performed in a promenade event at the locations of the stories in this collection.  This evening I will be reading a story at the official launch of both the Portsmouth BookFest and the launch of this brand new paperback version of Portsmouth Fairy Tales for Grown-Ups in the Lord Mayor's Room at Portsmouth Guildhall.

The stories in this collection are all set in locations in Portsmouth.  Some are dark moral tales, some are complete fantasy, some are historical, some futuristic, our own collection of tales of mystery which spring from the imagination of eleven writers who have a fascination of this intriguing City.

I am now looking forward to, hopefully, more similar projects in the future.  Who knows....



Special thanks to Tessa, Matt, Jon Everitt (Cover art and design) and Nick Ingamells (Photography).

No comments:

Post a Comment